[WEB4LIB] RE: Seattletimes.com: website shut down

James Cayz cayz at lib.de.us
Wed Aug 21 10:28:37 EDT 2002

>It is draconian when the website is totally shut down.

All,

Although many other reasons to shut the webserver down were validly stated,
there's a real important one that was missed...

If you are shutting the doors because having them open costs too much, then
you do more than close the doors and go home.

I know nothing about the climate of Seattle, but I'm sure that leaving the
computer room(s) AC on will cost more money than turning it off.
And HVAC is a big part of a building's expense.

I'm assuming, of course, that the web server is located in one of the
affected libraries.

And there are many (hundreds) of devices in our buildings that draw small
amounts of power (each) that can also be safely turned off.  How much
money would be saved by turning off all the EXIT signs, water fountains,
Wake-on-Lan computers, monitors on standby, soda & candy machines, UPSs,
clocks, water heaters, ceiling fans, ...   Does anyone know much of
that contributes to their total power budget (I don't)?

Notes from personal experience:
1) Don't kill the main power if you have a sump pump and are
   located in a high water table area.
2) Clean the fridge out before you turn it off for a week

Just my $0.02 .
James