We're Newbie Friendly (was: constructive criticism on this list?)

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 7 10:18:20 EDT 2002

OK, that Flash discussion did get messy and drift off in the direction of
a Linux holy war, but generally this list is newbie friendly and people
who ask for help with a problem in a Web page usually get the solution
that they need.

They also sometimes get feedback about better ways of doing things.
There is a grey area here that blurs from limited technical solutions (to
achieve A, do B) to best practices (C will get you there but D makes
things easier in the long run) to moral imperatives (you _ought_ to do
E).  Even the oughts and shoulds have there place (we ought to make our
sites accessible).

But as we move along this continuum we move from verifiable
cause-and-effect into areas where tempers can flare.  In the end its best
to remember we are all newbies sometimes and there's always something we
can learn.

OK, enough motherhood for now,

Chris