How do you use Google?

Tara Calishain calumet at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 13 18:45:59 EDT 2002

Gentle Web4Libbers,

At the moment I'm doing some writing about Google. Some of it's programming
using the
Google API but I'd like to expand the search techniques aspect of it.

My problem is that I've been doing this a long time and I've lost some
perspective. I find
myself interested in searches for minutiae, like price listings for rare
coins and stuff like
that. Things that are probably not useful to the average reader.

However, I thought that as librarians you might have stock subjects that
you're asked to
find information on every day. Of course there are the rare coin folks, but
I'm hoping that
you have a general idea of the things you're called upon to search for
fairly frequently,
and if you do I'm hoping you'll share that list with me.

Please drop me a note offlist if you've got some searches you're willing to
share, or just topics
that you'd like to see covered in a discussion of searching on Google. If
there's
any interest I'll compile a list, and if I'm able to I'll try to share some
resources to help with these
general searches (or provide pointers if I've covered the topic in
ResearchBuzz.)

Thanks in advance,

Tara
ResearchBuzz.com