[WEB4LIB] copies of older browsers

Joyce M. Latham latham1 at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 13 11:06:23 EDT 2002

I am going to answer this drawing on my own experience, but I think the
reason there is so much 4.7 out there is because it was the leading
browser when the big Internet push occurred & Bill was doling out his
agenda to public libraries in the form of donations they couldn't
refuse.  Those big sweeps occurred without much thought to follow-up and
the upgrades haven't occurred because there is either no will or any
money for it.  The cost, of course, is not in the browsers, but in the
staff time.  Time spent doing upgrades is time not available for other
responsibilities, which may be much more visible.  Remember the impact
of the OS -- some installations are still stuck on the NT 3.5 Bill gave
them.  If anyone has read Arnold Pacey's 'The Culture of Technology',
you can see the same old same old playing out -- technology dumped into
a culture (organization) as a solution, and the culture left to figure
out how to live with it ...

Some just opt out for AOL!

Joyce

--