[WEB4LIB] RE: testing web pages- a question

Paul Taylor ptaylor at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Aug 12 15:58:30 EDT 2002

Depending on your audience, browser version may or may not be determined by
stubbornness on the part of the end user.

For a college/post k-12 audience, stubborn refusal may certainly come into
play. However, for the general public, you must, in my opinion, remember that
some people don't upgrade for reasons not steeped in stubbornness: a
child/grandchild maintains the PC on an irregular basis, the download time
for an upgrade is unacceptable with the old 14.4 modem (or even 56k), etc.
Additionally, some people may still be using the browser that came installed
on the PC at the time of purchase. I am of a mind that a good chunk of the
browsers out there aren't user-upgraded software, but pre-installed on
newly-purchased PCs--and some older PCs might, in fact, be too slow to
support new browser bells and whistles, as well as new web content requiring
special plug-ins.

Thus, love of a particular browser may not be the deciding factor in
upgrading. A steep learning curve, personal budget restrictions, limited
connection speeds, etc., certainly may. Of course, as I said, it depends on
your audience. In a public library setting, I would argue you should try to
make a web page accessable to as many people as possible (i.e., keep it
simple, and use W3 standards). In an academic setting, though, standards
dictating the delivery of academic services probably should rank high in the
decision-making process.

-Paul

--
Paul Taylor