[WEB4LIB] testing web pages- a question

Sarah Graham Sarah_Graham at emerson.edu
Mon Aug 12 14:57:50 EDT 2002

It depends on what the consequences are in ignoring the population of users
who use those browsers, i.e. how much usability is lost in earlier versions
of Netscape. Your page currently is unusable in Netscape 4.03 because the
text in the right hand column displays over the top of the text in the left
hand column. (I'm using a PC running NT4.0) Not good. If it was a case of
compromising on the aethestics, it would be different matter.

It's hard to imagine a company with a vested interest in selling products,
e.g. Amazon.com, saying "we don't care about the x percent of users who are
using Netscape versions lower than 5." (That's why they use nested tables
galore!)

I don't, personally, under these circumstances, think that we can afford to
alienate ANY percent of our audiences.

Sarah Graham