[WEB4LIB] RE: re webmaster address on web site

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Fri Aug 9 10:26:37 EDT 2002

Not to point the finger at any one technique, but I just want to point
out that no amount of spam sent to my email account (and I'll compare
spam message totals with anyone) will get me to do something that harms
my ability to serve my users. I think users should be able to contact
the person responsible for a web server by whatever means they wish.
That's why my feedback page
(http://escholarship.cdlib.org/feedback.html) lists all the possible
ways they can contact us: by web form, by email, by phone, by mail, and
in person. Contrast this with other sites where you would be lucky to
find *one* method of contacting someone, and therefore it's the one
*they* find most convenient. I'm sorry, but getting more than the usual
quota of spam comes with the job. Get used to using the delete key (or,
better yet, carefully configured filters). Compromising public service
in pursuit of your personal comfort is a strange public service stance
indeed.
Roy