fonts

Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Thu Aug 8 15:54:14 EDT 2002

Peter Brinkley's answer (excerpted below) is a good one--in those cases
where someone's actually applying typographic design, not using a
Dreamweaver (or Front Page?) default or just saying "Sans good. Serif bad."

   Typographic design is an applied art, even on the web. I wouldn't want
   to see the same font everywhere I go, any more than I'd want everyone
   else
   to show up at a meeting wearing my clothes. Provided the design degrades
   gracefully, and browsers allow users to override stylesheets and font
   tags
   if they wish, why should designers not use their skills to enhance the
   presentation of the material?

My apologies to those who've actually thought about typographic design.
-wcc-