[WEB4LIB] browser and OS wars

Paul Taylor ptaylor at tln.lib.mi.us
Tue Aug 6 14:49:37 EDT 2002

Actually, such arguments overlook issues that go deeper than how a web page
appears onscreen. Platform independence and open standards not only, as
mentioned, open a site up to users of multiple systems, but also encourage
non-proprietary systems (use whatever tool you want, the toolbox is open to
ya), and don't penalize users who wish to avoid platforms with proven and
notorious security holes. While this may seem a superfluous argument over
ephemera, when you utilize proprietary standards, you give security authority
to the private maker and not the public user. The trend, currently, is toward
intrusive measures, enshrined in arcane, privacy-encroaching EULAs, which
pose a real threat to user security--especially when such system makers are
going all-out to be information repositories for credit card information,
social security numbers, etc.

As responsible netizens, especially given our implicit duty as library staff
to protect personal information and intellectual activities, I feel it is
imperative that we discourage the use of systems which, although ubiquitous
and zealously marketed, are designed to feed the personal information
appetites of megacorporations at the very real expense of end users who, in
all honesty, are more often than not ignorant of the EULAs we click through
during installation, as well as of other, less obvious threats to personal
security, which are inherent in proprietary systems.

-Paul

--
Paul Taylor
Computer Coordinator