[WEB4LIB] Re: browser differences

Paul Taylor ptaylor at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Aug 5 14:54:10 EDT 2002

Hmmm... I am of a mind that if one needs to flash up their site with eye
candy, perhaps it's really the content that needs attention. A well-authored
page, using only HTML or other markup language, should do the trick just
fine. Not to offend anyone, but Flash is simply a tool, and shouldn't be used
as a crutch where better authoring is a more practical solution.

As for "power users," I would think the term refers to those who, regardless
of platform, have a usage which outpaces the marketed audience and usually
includes tinkering with the PCs innards, be it hardware or software. Using a
lot of M$ products doesn't mean a person is a power user, it simply means
they are using everything that came on the PC, as marketed. Actually, as a
simple security measure, I advise my users NOT to use items such as Outlook
(it's like hanging a big, red target on your PC), as I won't support it. I
don't even install it when I am configuring a PC. A power user tends to be a
person who looks outside the box for solutions, too, which means looking
outside of Microsoft for many, if not most, or all, things. For example, on
our public Internet stations, I have both Netscape AND Explorer, as there are
some web pages that Explorer handles better, and other pages that Explorer
chokes on. The only reason I don't install Opera is that people don't know
what it is, and therefore don't recognize it as a web option.

-Paul

--
Paul Taylor
Computer Coordinator