[WEB4LIB] Re: browser differences

Paul Taylor ptaylor at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Aug 5 14:35:29 EDT 2002

If you tune to the vast majority of your audience, then this means you are
telling any blind users, "Tough luck, chaps!" and telling deaf users,
"_______." While there may not be many blind users in a college setting
(being a finite group), when you design for the real world, you have to
contend with accomodating the blind (web reading software can't describe what
a Flash animation is 'doing'), the deaf (mp3's used to 'enhance' a site will
simply bog down that person's PC and add not a whit to their experience), and
those still running 486s, 680x0s, and early Pentiums--all of which will run
slow as molasses when it comes to Flash animations and other manner of
multimedia beasties.

I haven't read the ADA to identify anything related to web services, but if I
were desiging a site for a college or library, I'd want to make sure I was
within at least the spirit of the law, inasmuch as serving my entire web
audience. So, standards-compliance, though important, becomes just another
issue, as you consider serving those who are disabled (is that the P.C. term
these days?) in some fashion.

-Paul

--
Paul Taylor