[WEB4LIB] At the risk of being burnt...

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Mon Aug 5 13:01:33 EDT 2002

First, I don't see why this should be the subject of a Flame.  I always say
that I design first for those who access my site and only second for those
who don't.

I don't think library web sites need to be the ugliest places on earth.  I
mean part of connecting with your user base is figuring out what kind of
style they can related to.  You don't want the thing looking like a funeral
parlor -- unless of course your specialty happens to be cadaver studies.

LEO

At 09:51 AM 8/5/2002 -0700, Steve Garwood wrote:
>Flash, Java, Javascript, HTML, Animations, 8pt text....
>
>As long as we know our USERS and are meeting their needs isn't that the
>point?
>
>Granted we can't design all sites for all people, but I do think that the
>AUDIENCE focus is paramount. I.E. if I was designing a site for College age
>students, I'd want a different feel, look, etc. than a site for the
>Elderly.
>
>IMHO, I think libraries as a whole can win the "Ugliest sites ever created"
>award as an "industry" and especially in this era of trying to attract
>younger audiences, perhaps including some of these technologies (gratuitous
>as they may seem to be) isn't such a bad idea.
>
>Flame Away :-)

Leo Robert Klein                            Library Web Coordinator
office :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: http://newman.baruch.cuny.edu
radio station ::::::::::::::::::::::::::: http://patachon.com/radio