Announcing ACRL Chat Forum hosted by Maureen Sullivan

Xiaodong Li xd8818 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 2 04:07:29 EST 2002

With apologies for cross-posting.  Texas A&M University Libraries welcomes
your participation in our renamed and redesigned virtual learning community
project @ http://library.tamu.edu/21stcentury

Our virtual learning community, "Academic Libraries of the 21st Century" has
recently been renamed "Libraries of the 21st Century." This new name will
allow us to benefit from a broader spectrum of input leading to greater
opportunities for collaborations and partnerships.

Advancing technologies have also allowed our project team to revamp the
project web site as a library portal. New features of the web site include:

-database driven channels including Events, Job Bank, Quick Vote, Vision
Search, and Resources
-Content Management Web applications developed with Active Server Page (ASP)
technology
-multiple access points for users to search or browse content stored in
Access databases
-allows users to submit content through interactive Web forms
-allows designated site administrators to approve, edit, or delete the
posted content through the Web interface
-offers a simple and cost-effective solution to managing dynamic content on
a comprehensive Web site

Upcoming Chat:

Maureen Sullivan, participated in our very first chat session, 'Creativity
in the Academic Libraries of the 21st Century,' during May 2000 and will
innaugurate our new site by hosting an ACRL Focus on the Future Task Force
chat session:

Topic: Academic Library Futures: Identifying Strategic Issues: An Open Forum

Date: Friday, April 12, 2002

Time:

2:30 - 4:00 pm Eastern
1:30 - 3:00 pm Central
12:30 - 2:00 pm Mountain
11:30 - 1:00 pm Pacific

The ACRL Focus on the Future Task Force will "help the Association meet the
challenge of keeping our focus on the big questions- those questions which
have the potential to help academic librarians shape and change their
services to further improve learning and research. Understanding trends and
major issues is crucial to the survival and success of academic libraries."

Please join us in this exciting session which will allow you to experience
and take advantage of a new communication format for collaborative
brainstorming on the following big issues:

1. What are the key trends and developments that academic librarians need to
pay attention to?

2. What issues are so serious that they might keep you awake at night?

3. How well prepared are we to address the big questions?

4. If you were the key advisor to someone who was about to give a billion
dollars to ACRL to fund achievement of a preferred future for academic
libraries, how would you advise her/him to spend it?

5. What would the key initiatives be?

Register before April 5th via the project Web site @
http://library.tamu.edu/21stcentury/new/chat/chat.asp

Registration is free, but limited to a capacity of 100 participants.

IDs/Passwords for the session, as well as more information about the
session, will be distributed to participants via e-mail on April 5th.

The Academic Libraries of the 21st Century Website Project Team
Charles Gilreath
Tommy Armstrong
Deborah Harrington
Xiaodong Li