[WEB4LIB] RE: Databases in your face?

Reeder Norm Reeder.Norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
Mon Apr 22 18:27:35 EDT 2002

I'm taking the liberty of posting a reply on this thread that came to me
after I asked the question on re-wording commercial database names.  It
follows onto the earlier posting of this afternoon.
Thanks
Norm

Hello, Norm:

I'm in the middle of a redesign and I think what I'm going to do to address
this problem is the following:

Have the link "Find a magazine article" next to a very small picture of the
EBSCO logo.  This way, people won't be surprised to be routed into
someplace called EBSCO (what? I thought this would get me to magazines!)
because they've already seen the logo and made the connection.  At least,
that's what I'm hoping.  I haven't done any user testing on this yet.

Likewise
Find a newspaper article (ProQuest)
Find a book, video, etc. (our catalog, a Dynix product)
Find literature resources (Gale's Literature Resource Center)
Look for a book anywhere in Wisconsin (WISCAT, a shared statewide library
catalog)
and so on

Hope this helps.

Tana Elias