[WEB4LIB] Form validation problem

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 19 16:33:58 EDT 2002

The problem is the <form> tag within the <p> tag -- form is a block level
tag and p only allows inline level content.

The second problem is that <input> is an inline level element and <form>
must contain block level elements.

These problems can be solved (in your sample page) by removing the <p> (or
changing it to div) enclosing the <form> and adding a <div> around the
hidden <input>.

Strict XHTML is very fussy about this distinction between block and
inline.  A key piece of information is that <div> is essentially the only
block level element that can contain block level elements.

Unfortunately the only source I know of for this information is the strict
DTD itself.  Most reference and instructional material on XHTML
concentrate on transitional XHTML.  I've begun work on a tutorial on
strict XHTML and CSS, but I haven't gotten very far yet.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo