Form validation problem

Robert Sullivan scp_sulli at sals.edu
Fri Apr 19 14:59:15 EDT 2002

I have several PicoSearch accounts on our local history site (because of its
1500-page limit, I do them for specific areas).

Now that I'm converting to XHTML, I find the PicoSearch code doesn't validate.
My test page is

<http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/census/1835/sch1.html>

and under 1.0 Strict, the validator complains

element "form" not allowed here; possible cause is an inline element containing
a block-level element

and

element "input" etc. etc.

If I test it under 1.0 Transitional, I don't get the second error.

I haven't done much with forms, so perhaps there's something obvious to one of
you.  I have already cleaned up the PicoSearch code so that it no longer uses
uppercase attributes and unquoted values and other things from the bad old
days, and these are the remaining errors.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org