[WEB4LIB] seeking cheap firewall solution

D. Keith Higgs dkh2 at po.cwru.edu
Wed Apr 17 10:17:19 EDT 2002

If you run the Apache Webserver instead of IIS it is very easy to
configure Apache to accept connections from only your terminals.  Apache
2.0.35 is the latest production release (Hooray! Apache 2.0 is out of
beta!) and plays VERY nicely with Windows, Mac OS, Solaris, SPARC,
HP-UX, BSD, Linux, Amiga-DOS, etc...  Additionally, it's completely
immune to nasties like Nimda and Code Red.

You'll want to know the Ips for the boxes you want to authorize.
Ideally, they'll all fall within the same subnet or subnets so you can
set the rule as something like "allow from 129.22.96.*" or "allow from
ul.cwru.edu" where all of your machines have names like
pubterm24.ul.cwru.edu or some such thing.

If you want to take a very slightly larger step you could set up an old
386 or 486 box you have stuck away in a storage closet to run this
service and a firewall on Linux.  Fairly simple to set up and maintain.

D. Keith Higgs <mailto:dkh2 at po.cwru.edu>
 Case Western Reserve University
  Webmaster - University Library
  Additional Information at http://www.cwru.edu/UL/