using float in IE/Netscape

Will Monroe wtmonroe at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 12 11:54:51 EDT 2002

Greetings,

I have been lurking on the list for a few months now.  My question pertains to the use of a particular selector in CSS that doesn't seem to be working as I would have hoped.

I am using float with 'left' as the declaration to position an image inside of its parent, which is a div that formats a heading and subheading for the document inside the resulting box.

I referred to Eric Meyer's chart on CSS support in various browsers and did indeed find that support for float: left is buggy in some of the browsers.

Since I am writing this page for a public library in which many of the browsers are a little older should I use tables instead?  I was attempting to separate style from structure as much as possible as the Webmaster for the library is also doing (I am a library student on an internship).  I would love some advice.

Thanks,
Will