[WEB4LIB] Re: Second web directory?

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Apr 24 14:15:45 EDT 2002

Incidentally, the former boss at lii.org--who is a great library leader
and who I would not dream of disappointing by dorking up this wonderful
resource--crunched some numbers while I was blathering.

Last Friday, lii.org had 69 404's ("broken links") out of 10786, for a
percentage of .6% (six-tenths of one percent).  Again, the real magic,
which has been true of lii.org since birth, is that the quality
continues to rise even as lii.org grows.  That is because lii.org is a
planned resource, with real management and oversight, not a pile of
links on a page. It has had daily oversight for a decade.

Might I add, Carole is the senior indexer of all, with almost 1/3 of all
sites in lii.org, and every week she puts in significant work (now
volunteer!) grooming her excellent opus.

You don't even want to know what happens before a record goes INTO
lii.org--our editors are merciless.  A site gets scanned, viewed in both
browsers, evaluated, and looked at upside and down.  They compare the
record with the site, and groom as needed.  They rewrite MY stuff, too.
;)

I've considered putting up our quarterly reports and statistics so the
world can see the magic.

But now back to that "magic."  Magic, btw, takes a lot of work.

Karen G. Schneider kgs at lii.org  http://lii.org
Coordinator, Librarians' Index to the Internet
lii.org  New This Week:     http://lii.org/ntw
      lii.org: Information You Can Trust!

:Coordinator, Librarians' Index to the Internet
:lii.org  New This Week:     http://lii.org/ntw
:      lii.org: Information You Can Trust!
:
: