[WEB4LIB] RE: CSS help

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Wed Apr 24 11:55:18 EDT 2002

Please correct me if I'm wrong ...

but I believe that (non-NN4.x) browsers that recognize the @import
statement will give that style sheet higher precedence than the linked
style sheet, but the latter will still affect the cascade, the rendering of
the document.

We're using a similar hack, yet our "nn4.css" sheet required so many
NN-specific declarations that the renderings in the other browsers
suffered.  So we decided to detect user agents w/JavaScript in order to a)
give any NN4.x browser a sheet written exclusively for its needs, and b)
allow other browsers to ignore the NN-specific sheet.

No, it's not pretty, but we're squeaking by ...

-kb

Kevin W. Bishop   >   bishopk at rpi.edu
Communication & Collaboration Technologies
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
      RPInfo: http://www.rpi.edu/rpinfo/
      Kiosk: http://j2ee.rpi.edu:8080/kiosk/setup.do