[WEB4LIB] Netscape to IE

pattyb at umich.edu pattyb at umich.edu
Tue Apr 23 12:40:28 EDT 2002

--On Tuesday, April 23, 2002 8:39 AM -0700 "Warren, Jay"
<jwarren at ccp.cc.pa.us> wrote:

> Is there a way to have a link that's clicked on in Netscape open a new
> window in Internet Explorer?

Wouldn't that be nice! That would solve half of the problems we web
developers face!

But the answer is no. The browser version is a part of the information sent
to the web server when a user requests a page. We can see what type of
browser the user is using, and we can display things differently based on
which type it is using JavaScript and CSS, but we cannot change it.

Even if we could find a way, you can be sure that Netscape and Microsoft
would very quickly make it illegal.

Sorry to disappoint.

-Patty

Patty Bradley, Web Administrator
Public Health Information Services & Access (PHISA)
the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan
734-764-0300
http://www.sph.umich.edu/phisa/