[WEB4LIB] Telecommuting

Bosman, Don Dbosman at MAIL.LIB.MSU.EDU
Thu Apr 18 10:26:51 EDT 2002

re: >How do you monitor time spent/work done?

We don't have a formal program in the library, but I've been involved in
advising and helping several companies setup individual employees as
teleworkers over the last ten years.

One of the most important parts of a successful telework program is
adjustments of or to supervisory expectations. One can not, without being
draconian in monitoring employees, expect a teleworker to put in the same
types of time, and perhaps even work, as there office based colleagues. The
situation is entirely different. Not slightly, entirely. Monitoring may in
fact turn up evidnece that the employee is working too much or is more
productive in less time. You need to plan for that too.

As to equipment, unless the employee is only doing ocasional work, then the
employer needs to provide the equipment, connectivity, and security for the
data and data backup. Do you want to open your network to their kids or
their kids friends? I didn't think so. You should also provide a very good
chair and training in how to properly adjust it. Isn't this expensive?
Perhaps, but what will or might be saved in office space alone?

I haven't meant to give offense, as I may have read more into your question
then you meant, but given the question about monitoring it doesn't sound
like you folks are ready for a teleworker program... yet.

I suggest you visit some of the home working sites to get a better "feel"
for what is involved.
http://www.telecommute.org/

http://www.att.com/telework/article_library/myths.html particularly
addresses part of what I read or read into your question

http://www.att.com/telework/

http://www.energy.state.or.us/telework/whywork.pdf very well put together
piece.

http://www.telework.com/ links to just about everyone or site in the field.