img ALT attribute in NS 6.2.x

Kenneth Irwin kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Mon Apr 8 09:23:27 EDT 2002

Hi all,

Does anyone know what Netscape 6.2 is doing with the ALT attribute in an
IMG tag? I've recently loaded 6.2.1 at work and 6.2.2 at home, and neither
seem to display the alt tag as a mouseover-message when an image loads. I
suppose the "mandate" of the ALT attribute is to provide information when
the image isn't available, but it's often used as a "hidden caption" --
functionality that's been supported in IE, Netscape 4.x and I think also
Opera until now. (I don't know about NS 6.0.x and 6.1.x as I uninstalled
them pretty soon after loading them...)

I should think the change will make a difference for many folks; I don't
often use it to convey additional information that I expect image-users to
need, but I do sometimes use it for handy "extras".

I thought maybe there was a NS preference to govern ALT handling, but I
don't see one. Anyone know what's up with this?

Ken

Ken Irwin                                               kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian        (937) 327-7594
Thomas Library, Wittenberg University