Cross-database Search Tools Summary

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Wed Sep 5 12:35:54 EDT 2001

On August 22 (see
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0108/0187.html), I posted
a question regarding cross-database search tools. For this particular
query I was interested in web-based services that can accept one
query, send it out to multiple databases and returned organized
results to the user. I was not interested in web-only applications
such as metasearch engines, nor was I interested in client-side
applications.

Below is the summary of what I found. The first section are services
created by libraries on behalf of their users, and the second section
are tools that may be applicable for creating such services. Thanks
to everyone who supplied suggestions.
Roy

Cross-Database Search Services

California Digital Library - Searchlight
http://searchlight.cdlib.org/cgi-bin/searchlight
http://www.cdlib.org/hlp/searchlight/credits.html for more information

King County Library System (WA) - KCLS Library Search (using WebFeat,
see Tools below)
http://www.kcls.org/
http://www.kcls.org/wf/webfeatfaq.html for more information

Los Alamos National Lab - Flashpoint
http://flashpoint.lanl.gov/
http://lib-www.lanl.gov/lww/flashpoint.htm for more information
Contact: Marie Harper, mharper at lanl.gov

National Library of Medicine - Gateway
http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/
http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/gw/Cmd?Overview.x for more information

National University of Mexico (UNAM) - Hermes (in development)
http://www.ibt.unam.mx/biblioteca/

OhioLink - In development
Contact: Thomas Dowling, tdowling at ohiolink.edu

University of Arizona - Multi-SEARCH
http://www.library.arizona.edu/indexes/links/multisearch.shtml
Contact: Jeremy Frumkin, frumkinj at u.library.arizona.edu

University of Illinois, Chicago - qUICsearch (using WebFeat)
http://quicsearch.lib.uic.edu/

University of Texas Health Science Center - SUMSearch
http://sumsearch.uthscsa.edu/

Cross-Database Search Tools

Blue Angel - MetaStar (for Z39.50 data sources)
http://www.blueangeltech.com/

Endeavor ENCompass
http://www.endinfosys.com/encompass.htm

ExLibris - MetaLib
http://www.exlibris-usa.com/metalib/
[Curtin University, http://lisweb.curtin.edu.au/ is presently
installing this product, contact Peter Green <P.Green at curtin.edu.au>]

Fretwell-Downing - Zportal
http://www.fdgroup.com/fdi/zportal/about.html

Muse
http://www.museglobal.com/

OCLC - SiteSearch (for Z39.50 resources, and now in "limbo")
http://www.oclc.org/oclc/menu/site.htm

WebFeat
http://www.webfeat.org/

The following were suggested as cross-database search tools, but have
not been verified to be appropriate for the needs specified in my
query:

BrightPlanet - DeepWeb Directory
http://brightplanet.com/products/dwd.asp

Copernic - Aggregator