(Update Week 29) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Sep 20 18:08:01 EDT 2001

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk Update Week 29
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

9/20/01
Hello from DC.
Here are a few of the highlights from the past few days of blogging. Please
stop by whenever you have a moment.

Btw, Will Hann and I would love for you to subscribe to our weekly highlight
newsletter. You can find the sign-up page with all the details at:
http://www.freepint.com/resourceshelf
The newsletter is free.

Thank You,
Gary

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gprice at gwu.edu
--------

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk Update Week 29
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

If you’re looking for material relating to the tragedy of 9/11/01, I am
compiling two pages that might be of interest.
1) Research & Reference Resources--Events of September 11, 2001
http://www.freepint.com/gary/91101.html
2) Speech and Transcript Center
http://gwu.edu/~gprice/speech.htm

NOTE: THE GAO RELEASED (9/20/01) SEVERAL REPORTS ABOUT TERRORISM & AIRLINE
SAFETY. THEY ARE NOW LISTED AND LINKED ON THE 9/11/01 RESOURCE SITE!
http://www.freepint.com/gary/91101.html

-------
-------

Thursday, September 20, 2001
Web Search--Google
Google Makes An Acquisition
Outride heads to the Google stable.

Info Industry--TheScientificWorld
Scientific Conferences--Specialized Databases
Articles on Demand
TheScientificWorld Continues To Add Content
The WorldMEET database contains info on over 4,000 scientific conferences.

Professional Reading
The September issue of D-Lib Libraries is Now Online
Here are 2 articles from the 9/2001issue:
"Preserving Scholarly E-Journals" by Dale Flecker
--
"Linking to the Appropriate Copy, Report of a DOI-Based Prototype"
----

Wednesday, September 19, 2001
>From the Interesting Idea File
Book Forager
A new UK search tool to assist with book selection by selecting from 12
criteria. From a news release, "The software for the new initiative was
developed by Applied Psychology Research which worked alongside the Society of
Chief Librarians and the reader development agency, Opening the Book..."
----

Tuesday, September 18, 2001
Web Search--AltaVista
Source: News.Com
New CEO, More Job Cuts at AV

Full-Text Document Shelf
Business--Australia
Source: Department of Parliament Library
Foreign Ownership and Corporate Australia
----

Monday, September 17, 2001
Scholarly Publishing
Source: Info Today NewsBreaks
Archives--Directory
UNESCO Archives Portal Tops 5000 Entries

Digitization Projects
Newspaper Archives
New Beta: NewspaperDirect.Com

Small Business--Canada
Starting a Business--Canada
New Web Site: The Business Start-up Assistant (BSA)

Full-Text Document Shelf
Home Schooling--United States
Source: U.S. Census
Home Schooling in the United States: Trends and Characteristics

END
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk Update Week 29

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu