CSS alternative to start & value for lists?

Robert Sullivan scp_sulli at sals.edu
Thu Sep 20 10:19:18 EDT 2001

I'm in the process of converting my site to CSS and XHTML.  I noticed that the
"start" and "value" attributes of ordered lists are deprecated and I'd like to
find another way of doing that.  I know that CSS will allow you to set the list
to Roman numerals etc., but haven't found this.

If you're wondering why anyone would want to do this, it's for some local
history material.  I have a few documents where it would be nice to keep the
original formatting, and some of the family histories display the generations
with numbers which skip or repeat, and sometimes sections begin with numbers
other than one.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org