[WEB4LIB] Time Limit Software

Tony New libtwn at rowlett.lib.tx.us
Mon Sep 10 13:24:17 EDT 2001

We needed not only a way to limit Internet use but to limit total time per
"session" so we went with a shareware product called "Shutdown NOW!"
http://www.dworld.de/

You can set it to shutdown after a set length of time from booting up the
machine.  FYI, we use a pass through login for our Lab computers.  So when
the patron unlocks the computer then boots it up the clock starts
running...literally there is a clock in the taskbar that count downs to zero
so the patron is constantly reminded how much time they have left.  At the
end of the 2hrs, the computer shuts itself down and the patron has to come
back and "renew" the key.  We use our automation system to check out the
keys which unlocks a disk drive cover that we have placed to cover up the
power button.

The price is reasonable.  On a slightly humorous note...the author of the
software is not a native English speaker so some of the help files, while
understandable, are strangely worded.