[WEB4LIB] Time Limit Software

Andy Boze Boze.1 at nd.edu
Fri Sep 7 15:21:02 EDT 2001

Here's a fairly simple solution. I only use WinNT and Win2K, but this would
probably work with other Windows versions as well.

The WinNT Workstation Resource Kit comes with two utilities, SLEEP and
SHUTDOWN. I've used both of these for other purposes. You could write a
command script (batch file), something like

SLEEP 3600
SHUTDOWN /L /R /T:60 /Y /C

The first line says to wait 3600 seconds (one hour) before going to the next
command. The next line says to shut down the computer.

If you run this command script every time someone logs on to the computer,
the computer will shut itself down after an hour.

There are a couple of issues to be aware of here. It assumes that users
actually log in on the machines. You'd have to add the batch file to the
machine's startup folder (or to the registry).

The script would open a console (DOS) window that would be visible to the
user while logged in. There are ways of hiding DOS windows, though. If the
user logs out before the hour is up, he'd probably get an error message
warning that the script was still running. The shutdown command actually
shuts down and reboots the workstation. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a
utility for just logging the user off, but I don't know of one off the top
of my head. (Actually, restarting the workstation between users isn't a bad
thing.)

There are free versions of the two Resource Kit utilities. A shutdown
utility can be found at http://maxx.mc.net/~jlh/nttools/html/nttools.htm . A
sleep utility can be found at
http://www.weihenstephan.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.html .

I'm not suggesting this is the best solution, but it's something that could
work. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Andy Boze, Associate Librarian         | E-mail: Boze.1 at nd.edu
Head, Desktop Computing & Net. Svcs.   | WWW: http://www.nd.edu/~fboze/
G126 Hesburgh Library                  | Voice: (219) 631-8708
Notre Dame, IN  46556-5629             | FAX:   (219) 631-6772

Software Review Editor, _Information Technology and Libraries_