Lapsed domain names--beware

Elena O'Malley omalleye at emmanuel.edu
Fri Sep 28 10:26:40 EDT 2001

I realize this thread has mostly died down, but this issue of lapsed
domain
registrations has reminded me to --

1) Keep a disclaimer on hand for external links.
2) Check those links regularly.
3) Thank the people and organizations who build the free sites we use,
link to,
and recommend...before the domain lapses because of organizational
changes,
understaffing, misplaced invoices, skyrocketing rent prices, illness,
death,
laziness, loss of interest, new hobbies, lost jobs, physical moves or any
other
reason. Often, the biggest reward these folks realistically hope for is a
quick
email saying that someone has found their site, found it useful, and is
providing a
link so that other people can find it. Such an email can also reinforce
their commitment
to site maintenance. (I like to keep my own best interests in mind, after
all.)

It's a Pollyannaish comment, I realize, but I want people who build sites
with free,
useful content to know that while it's unfortunate when libraries lose
access to
those resources (whatever the reason), we're grateful to have those sites
for as
long as they are available.

Cheers,
Elena O'Malley