[WEB4LIB] Re: eBooks can exist with...

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Wed Sep 26 20:15:08 EDT 2001

At 10:32 AM -0700 26/9/01, Mark T. Bay wrote:
>Admit it, is there
>anything like sitting under a tree with a nice old worn-out book to pass the
>time?  For me, and many others that I know, the idea of books being replaced
>with LED, plastic, and ni-cad monstrosities is horrible.

I agree. Books are perfect for text which is meant to be read
linearly. On the other hand for encyclopedias, dictionaries and
reference books in general an electronic format with a search engine
and hyperlinks is far better.

Text books tend to fall in between but may be replaced by interactive
course material.

Economics might squeeze the short print run non-fiction title out of
the print world.

<aside>I mainly read non-fiction and I've often found the terms
"fiction" and "non-fiction" odd as a classification. Maybe the divide
should be between "knowledge" books and "non-knowledge" books ;^]
</aside>

Tony
--
phone  +61 2 6241 7659