[WEB4LIB] Re: "As TV didn't destroy radio, eBooks can exist with

Larry Campbell larrycam at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Sep 26 12:19:22 EDT 2001

As someone who both loves the printed book, but believes we're likely at
the end of its era, I'm sometimes unable to resist the temptation to
respond to these kinds of dismissals. The simple fact of the matter is
that these are early days. It may be, of course, that my hunch is wrong,
and the appropriate analogy for the ebook as a device IS the 8-track tape;
or, it may be that a better analogy would be the horseless carriage around
the turn of the century. Then too many people no doubt felt there was
nothing it could do that a horse couldn't do better. And they would have
had justification -- just not foresight.

Larry Campbell              email:      larrycam at interchange.ubc.ca
Information Services        telephone:  (604) 822-2076
Koerner Library
University of British Columbia
http://www.library.ubc.ca