The voices of our kind

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri Sep 21 23:54:13 EDT 2001

This is just a brief thank-you to all the people who wrote to tell me,
for my next Internet Librarian column, "what they did" that terrible
first week after the attack.  (I will continue to accept entries through
Monday, September 24.  Please email me personally, and include your
library and state or country.)

We librarians, as Calvin and Hobbes observed, are a clever bunch; we
made information available as quickly as we could, and we presented it
as neutrally and in as much quantity as we were able.  The Internet was
an obstacle, and a saving grace; television played an unexpected role;
the process of collecting and organizing information about our current
information has been both a tool and a salve.

If anyone wants the slightest justification why librarianship needs to
continue, consider the past ten days.

With thanks, and great affection for my colleagues--

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com