[WEB4LIB] Re: K-Meleon 0.5 Availability

Roger Rayborn raybornr at crpl.cedar-rapids.lib.ia.us
Thu Sep 27 13:35:46 EDT 2001

At 9:22 AM -0700 9/27/01, Richard L. Goerwitz III wrote:
>Raymond Wood wrote:
>
>>  > K-Meleon is available for Win9X, ME, Windows2000 and XP operating
>>  > systems only.
>>
>>  > Sorry Mac and Linux users!
>>
>>  Or perhaps 'Sorry K-Meleon'  :)  For my part, I simply won't use or
>>  promote any software that is not considerate enough to provide cross-
>>  platform alternatives for software users.
>
>It's time-consuming and/or expensive to develop software, and not
>all firms can afford sophisticated enough development environments
>to cut code for, and support, multiple environments.
>
>The fact is that the Library community is still moving very much
>in lockstep with Microsoft, particularly when it comes to desktops
>and cluster machines.  Very few libraries have significant systems
>staffs, and most that do have way more knowledge about Windows than
>any other operating system.
>
>So it can actually make sense for a small firm to deploy software
>for Windows.

I think that thanks to Microsoft and their new licensing scheme, we
are one library that has to look hard at other possibilities.  We are
looking at Apple with Unix built into their new operating system and
possibly at Linux.  Microsoft has priced themselves out of our price
range.
--
Roger A. Rayborn
raybornr at mail.crlibrary.org
Computer Information Services Manager     319 398-5123
Cedar Rapids Public Library
500 1st St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa    52401