[WEB4LIB] Re: Software Programs or PERL Scripts for Quizzing/Assessment?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Sep 27 13:54:13 EDT 2001

Thursday, September 27, 2001, 10:01:09 AM, you wrote:

RW> Yes, of course people will write code for fee.  The point is that PERL
RW> scripts are overwhelmingly available for *free*, and no payment
RW> whatsoever is required   :)  (Additionally Perl itself stems very much
RW> from a 'free culture').  See for example one of Perl's 'crown jewels':
RW>   http://www.cpan.org/

Oh, I know and understand all that.  I've used some of the cpan code
before.

RW> It is important that folks understand that there is a large and growing
RW> repository of quality *free* code that is available without cost.

No argument.

RW> Conversely it is important that people do not operate under the
RW> mistaken assumption that one must pay for commercial software to
RW> obtain quality software.

Also agree.  However, there are many library folks who want something
they can simply install off a CD or download and have it run, and who
don't mind paying for it.  They may want the support of a commercial
product.  They may lack even the basic techie skills that it might
take to get the modules to run.  They may not have beyond-basic
support available in their environment and be understandably reluctant
to even try to mess with Perl themselves.

RW> If people choose to pay for products when free alternatives are
RW> available then that is their choice of course.  In the word's of the ABC
RW> detergent commercial, however, "Why pay more?"

Again, no argument with the free culture.  My son writes Perl for a
living for a company in our business.  He leads a team of other Perl
and C++ geeks to earn a living.  He also writes plenty for free.  The
two don't have to be at odds.

cheers

dan
--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA