K-Meleon 0.5 Released

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Sep 27 08:36:01 EDT 2001

I'm pleased to announce that K-Meleon version 0.5 has been released.  K-Meleon
is an open-source browser built using the Gecko rendering engine, which was
developed for Mozilla.  It's fast, has a minimal interface, and it is
standards-compliant.  It does not include all of the "bloat" that weighs down
Mozilla and Internet Explorer making them difficult to secure and a drain on
computer resources.

For those who tested version 0.4, I think you'll find this newest version
represents a huge leap forward from the previous version.  Where the previous
version still had the feel of a "beta" product, version 0.5 is stable and robust
enough for everyday use.  Incorporating components of Mozilla 0.9.4, K-Meleon
0.5 includes a number of fixes, improvements and new features like:

* Enhanced privacy and security features: Tired of all of the X-10 ads and other
annoying pop-ups cluttering your screen? K-Meleon can block these and other
pop-up (and under) windows with a pop-up blocker that can be set in the
interface. You can also control cookies, images and javascript to enhance your
privacy while you use the Internet.

* Support for Java through Java's JRE.  K-Meleon automatically recognizes your
JRE installation and doesn't require any special configuration.

* Plugin support has been improved and K-Meleon now supports most
Mozilla-compatible plugins.

* A print button has been added to the toolbar to enhance its functionality.

* A loader is available to speed up the loading of the program.

You can download K-Meleon 0.5 at:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/kmeleon/kmeleon05.exe

More information is available at the K-Meleon web site at:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

>From a library perspective, one of K-Meleon's best features is the ability to
completely configure and secure the browser interface using configuration files
that are accessible through the interface.  You no longer have to deal with
scripts and editing obscure preference files to create a "kiosk" browser.  A
computer-savvy user should be able to create a locked down "kiosk" interface in
5 minutes.  With instructions, even a non-technie librarian can lock down
K-Meleon so that a user can not access any feature of the browser that you do
not want them to access.  Do you want to disable menus or menu items, limit
domains, and disable short-cut keys? K-Meleon can do all that!  Also, since
K-Meleon doesn't include unnecessary add-ons like a mail client and web page
editor, it is easy to secure the interface and keep it secured.  My help pages
that explain how to do that are available here:

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/mozilla/kmeleon.htm

On a personal note, those with sharp eyes will note that I have "enlisted" with
the K-Meleon project.  After I had "bugged" the developers with so many
enhancement requests and bug reports, I decided I needed to find a way to
contribute. Since I wouldn't be much help in the coding department, I
volunteered to assist with documentation as it was something I couldn't break.
It's been a lot of work but also a lot of fun to be part of developing a program
that I think has a lot of potential for libraries!  If you have any comments or
questions, let me know!

Enjoy!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician