Library home page

George Fowler fowlerg at db.erau.edu
Tue Sep 25 13:37:47 EDT 2001

I am looking for some feedback on a proposal I am going to make to change
our library's home page.  We currently serve 3 distinct types of users
(three different campuses) and therefore, before my time, it was decided
that we would have a splash page as our home page.  On this page, users must
choose what type of patron they are and are then brought to a listing of the
resources and services that are available to them.  Each type of user has
services that are available only to them, along with specific instructions.

My proposal is to provide links to the most important resources directly
from our home page.  These resources are our online catalog, online
databases, and collection of internet sites.  This would not replace the
options to select the user type to find the full resources available, it
would just allow patrons who know what they are doing to click directly to
the resources without the necessity of another mouse click.

What I would like to know is whether people who currently have something
similar to my proposed site have encountered any problems.

Any other thoughts about this proposal would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

George Fowler
Electronic Services Manager
Hunt Memorial Library