[WEB4LIB] Re: internet radio in libraries

N. Lynn Schlatter lschlatt at smlnet.sml.lib.la.us
Mon Sep 24 10:59:30 EDT 2001

It's interesting that Travis brings up the headphone issues, because those
have been the main problems Shreve Memorial has experienced since installing
our Gates Foundation public access computers three years ago.  We have
headphones fall apart with alarming frequency, problems with people pulling
on the headphone cord and unseating the audio card, and the ever-popular
"sanitation issues."

I'm not sure our bandwidth situation is similar to yours, because most of
our public access computers do not have Real Player, but we used to have
painfully slow web connectivity; we installed a cache engine; now we have
reasonable web connectivity.

BTW, Travis, audio extension cords might help us with some of our headphone
problems.  Could you e-mail me privately with the details on yours (brand,
vendor, specs)?

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Lynn Schlatter