Digitization: binary objects?

Bob Long bob at esrl.lib.md.us
Mon Sep 24 09:57:44 EDT 2001

Hello. When creating a database of images or other binary data, when is it
preferrable to insert the items into the database as binary objects and
when is it preferrable to just load the images into a directory on the
server and refer to them from the database? Is it just a question of the
number and size of the objects, and thus the performace of the database,
or are there other factors?

I guess what I'd really like to know is, when are binary objects useful?

Bob Long, Eastern Shore Regional Library, Inc.
Automation Technical Assistant
410 479 0776	(v)
410 548 5807	(f)
bob at esrl.lib.md.us