Java and e-resource vendors

Richard L. Goerwitz III richard at goerwitz.com
Sat Sep 22 14:57:52 EDT 2001

I'd just like to confirm my own intutions about Java and its future
in e-resources.

Three or four years ago it looked as if Java applets would become a
major factor in the deployment of e-resources.  But then Sun and Mic-
rosoft squabbled, and IE never did much with Java.

Since then the use of Java applets has appeared to decline, to the
point where I'm wondering whether any e-resource vendors are making
significant use of them.

(Certainly plenty of vendors are using Java servlets and some may
be using JSP; but that's another issue.)

Does what I'm seeing jibe with what others have seen?

--

Richard Goerwitz                               richard at Goerwitz.COM
tel: 401 438 8978