[WEB4LIB] Nimda on "patched" boxes

Richard L. Goerwitz III richard at goerwitz.com
Wed Sep 19 15:24:07 EDT 2001

"Andrew I. Mutch" wrote:

> > I agree whole heartedly in most of your information here.  "I am stuck with
> > Microsoft" My problem comes when your required to use MS because of a
> > proprietary resource to work with the current library system.  In my case,
> > we are using Innovative Interfaces, Inc system.  Although the system itself
> > does not run on MS a supplementary system for Inter Library Loan called
> > ILLiad was purchased by the library.

(Aside, not directed at Andrew:)

It's extremely important, if you're involved in systems work in a
Library context, to steer away from enterprise software that locks
you into environments constructed by vendors who are, well, in a
bit of legal trouble for their anticompetitive/predatory business
practices ;-).  If you're stuck, that's another matter, of course.
Sometimes you really have no choice.  But if you have a choice, the
platform/OS issue is really worth considering.

--

Richard Goerwitz                               richard at Goerwitz.COM
tel: 401 438 8978