Have to buy Microsoft? Or anything?

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Wed Sep 19 10:00:10 EDT 2001

Once it was IBM that everyone had to buy.  "Nobody ever got fired for buying
IBM."  But that did not last.

When it was my choice, I had Novell, GroupWise and Word Perfect.  However,
they were not that much of a help when it came to defending them against
Microsoft.  By boss never understood why I liked GroupWise and at the end
(when I left last year) I was having trouble selling myself.  Except, the
many Microsoft direct problems never hit us.  Novell was always a pain to
deal with, even when I had the active support of the CEO (now retired).  So,
I don't see a cure.   Linux is interesting and I bought Red Hat to test.

FDA is all Microsoft and several years old Microsoft at that.

I see no solution other than to keep them all lean and hungry.  How does one
do that?

Gary

Gary E. Masters
Librarian (Systems)