Request: University Librarians who would like to help CRS

Edith Sutterlin ESUTTERLIN at crs.loc.gov
Mon Sep 17 14:31:37 EDT 2001

Good afternoon.
I don't usually post, mostly read.  Today I have a favor to help from any list member  who isn't already swamped, or who would be willing to assist at this time as we in the Congressional Research Service gather materials to support our Terrorism Response team which is doing analysis and research  for Congress.
Bioterrorism research (or responses to any terrorism within the U.S.)
... see below for details.

As a reference librarian in the Congressional Research Service, I have benefitted greatly from following your discussion/learning from your expertise. [My technical knowledge and  html coding is minimal and my Dreamweaver use a great help toward developing intranet resources. I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Drew and a few others at the Computers in Libraries Conference in DC last spring.]      I spend most of my time in searching various databases and print resources to answer requests for Congressional Research Service subject analysts (special library within the CRS, within L.C.)

Our office does  information support for subject analysts who assist the Committees and individual members. As you can imagine, in this past week, we have had an exponential growth in RUSH needs.

Here's what I'd like from anyone who is able as we gather information for the Terrorism Response Team's needs :  Please email your responses  NOT to the list, but directly to me, at:

esutterlin at crs.loc.gov

We have been gathering reports from various databases and the web, as well as our own catalog, of significant/substantial/seminal/scenario-type.. (you get the idea)  publications pertaining to Bioterrorism

As you know, not all publications will show up easily, and it would be very helpful to know of the most valuable resources-- our EXPERTS across the U.S.  who have written in this area or who are working on the subject now.
So, From your own  Universities or institutions,
anyone who can share names of individuals and/or copies of their reports/publications who has done work on Bioterrorism in 2000 or 2001,
We in CRS are Very Interested in having your help in identifying these resources.
 If their phone/email contact is not confidential/internal, we would appreciate having that as well.

Although Bioterrorism is our current  urgent info-gathering focus, if you have time or personnel to address any reports/experts from your institution in the areas of cyberterrorism or U.S. response capability/preparedness to deal with terrorism within the U.S., that would also be useful.

We've gone through LC catalog searching and a number of commercial databases, but have not had time yet to do any combing of the .edu resources for names or publications.

Please Feel free to attach URLs or pdf or wpd (or even notepad or doc) attachments if you have copies of significant publications that you think might be useful to CRS.

 Thank you in advance.

Edith Sutterlin

Edith Sutterlin
202-707-8710
Senior Information Resources Librarian-

Office of Information Resources Management
Congressional Research Service
U.S. Library of Congress