[WEB4LIB] RE: Why eBooks and When?

Margaret Escherich esche_ma at oaklandlibrary.org
Thu Sep 13 12:54:48 EDT 2001

You have a very interesting point, about library policies impeding social
interaction.
We are going to run into this problem more and more, as we juggle the
current popular aim of public libraries to become more of a center of
community, a place to gather and affirm neighborliness, with our traditional
role of quiet study haven.

We do get complaints from patrons about the noise emanating from the area of
our computers, and we have thus far been hedging our bets on the online
"objectionable materials" debate by telling our staff to deal with "problem
computer users" by quoting our library behavior guidelines. These guidelines
state, more or less, that one must not annoy other users, must not disturb
the peace, essentially.  We limit the number of users per PC to limit the
amount of pointing and giggling that the "objectionable materials" viewing
creates.

So how do we embrace both these very different library aims, peace and
community?  I don't think we really want to lose the former, but the latter
aim is also important, in a world where we are all feeling the need to
connect to our towns, in our dispersed living habits.

-Margaret

 Margaret Escherich Hazel
 Senior Librarian/Webmistress
 Oakland Public Library