(Update Week 27) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Sep 6 12:34:18 EDT 2001

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk Update Week 27
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

9/6/01
Hello from Washington D.C.
We've received a great response during the first week of sign-ups for the new
opt-in list. Thank you very much! Will Hann and I plan to move the weblog and
weekly update to the Free Pint site around the 12th of October. Until then, I
will continue to post the weekly reminder to the various listservs and
discussion groups. After the move to Free Pint, the reminder post, what you
are now reading, will be sent directly to you.

If you haven't subscribed yet, please take a moment and fill out the form at,
http://www.freepint.com/resourceshelf/. It's simple and it’s free!

Note: The weblog is NOT going away.
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk will continue to be updated DAILY.

----------------
This email update is *ONLY A SAMPLE* of what you’ll find on the site.
The weblog page has about 50 entries this week.
----------------

Cheers,
gary
gprice at gwu.edu
----------------
P.s. If you know of other (individuals, listservs, etc.) that would find the
weblog, please let them know about us. Thank you.

Weekly Highlights #27
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
----

Thursday, September 6, 2001
Web Search--Images
Source: NY Times
"Do Search Engines Expedite the Theft of Digital Images?"

AV Materials--Glossary
UNESCO Publishes Glossary of Terms Related to the Archiving of AV Materials
>From the site, "... the Glossary aims to provide definitions of audiovisual
and audiovisual-related terms. Terms are defined in English with their
equivalent in French, German and Spanish when known."

Exports--United States
Source: Small Business Administration
Benefits from Exports - State Reports
Individual reports for all 50 states, D.C., Puerto Rico, and Guam. All reports
are .pdf files.
----

Wednesday, September 5, 2001
Research--Global
Invisible Web
New Database: ISI Launches HighlyCited.Com
“This freely accessible Web site gives research professionals working in a
variety of occupations an invaluable tool to identify individuals, departments
and laboratories that have made fundamental contributions to the advancement
of science and technology in recent decades.”
----

Tuesday, September 4, 2001
Drug Trials--United States--Database
Invisible Web
New Database: Drug Trials Info from Acurian

Stamps--Database--Canada
Invisible Web
New Database: Philatis, Canadian Postage Stamps

Business--Books
The Full-Text of Business Books, Search/Browse/Read Online for Free
>From Ebrary.Inc. You will need to download a small app. To print, you'll be
charged a small fee. Content from Random House, McGraw-Hill, Pearson plc,
Taylor & Francis, Cambridge University Press, MIT Press, Yale University
Press, and others.
----

Monday, September 3, 2001
Internet Usage--Students
Research Skills--Students
"Internet Replacing Libraries for Homework"

----

Sunday, September 2, 2001
Fee vs. Free
Source: Knowledge at Wharton via News.Com
"Net Ads: The Buck Starts Here"
>From the article, David Croson, Wharton professor of operations and
information management, predicts that clever consumers will surf around until
they find ways to slip past information tollbooths. "They’re going to find
another way to get the information that is almost as good and still free,"
says Croson. "It’s the uninformed who are paying."
----

Saturday, September 1, 2001
Business--Searchable Databases
Invisible Web
No More Free Content: 10K Wizard Becomes A Fee-Based Service
Today, 10K Wizard, a robust database providing SEC EDGAR filings, announced
that it's moving to a fee-based model as of September 1st.
----

Friday, August 31, 2001
Web Search--Meta Search Engines
Meta Search and Google
Especially important for those of you who do search training!
You probably already know that a majority of meta search engines do not
provide results from Google. Why? According to a Google spokesperson,
"Google's terms of service clearly states that meta engines cannot
automatically grab results from Google. We're happy to let any metasearcher
use us, under exactly the same terms that we're happy to sell results to other
people, too. O.K., easy enough to understand. However, a few meta search
engines claim to include Google results. This is not entirely accurate. I ran
several searches (common terms) and limited the meta engine to only return
Google material. What happened? Empty result sets.

Intellectual Freedom
"First World Report on Libraries and Intellectual Freedom Launched"
----

Thursday, August 30, 2001
Full-Text Document Shelf (3 Items)
Labor--United States
Source: BLS
Report on the American Workforce
Overview ||| Direct to Full-Text
205 pages .pdf
----
Home Schooling--United States
Source: NCES
Home Schooling in the United States--1999
----
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu