[WEB4LIB] Learning curve: HTML or WYSIWYG

Mcclendon, Sunny Sunny.Mcclendon at turner.com
Mon Oct 29 12:36:59 EST 2001

I agree with you.
We have a WYSIWYG for the editors to do their content changes, but we're not committed to any one application.  (Currently, we're using HomeSite.) I suggest our editors take an HTML class before taking on pages.  The support materials I have tell them how to do simple functions in HTML AND HomeSite. They can chose which to use.  When we have workshops I do both, depending on what the user wants.

For us, it works best to use both. WYSIWYG is easier for them to do, say, annotations. Whereas it's easier to do an anchor in HTML. A good editor will let you do both in the same application.

In my limited experience, there are always pages that can't be opened in an editor. It's nice to have that HTML to fall back on.

Hope that helps,
Sunny

Sunny McClendon
CNN Library WebKeeper/Reference Librarian
(404) 827 2835