Blocking software for Linux/Apache

Larry Scritchfield lscritch at netscape.net
Mon Oct 8 16:52:00 EDT 2001

Our parent institution's IT department recently decided to migrate all
web functions off MS NT/IIS to GNU Linux/Apache. The main impact of this
on our library system is that our blocking software, Cyber Patrol, does
not run on Linux/Apache.

I have begun the search for blocking software to replace Cyber Patrol.
Has anyone already done this research? Here are some of my criteria:

- runs as a proxy with Linux/Apache or squid
- blocking on a site basis rather than word-based or "intelligent agent"
- ability to block or unblock individual sites, overriding the "black list"
- relatively fine-grained blocking categories
- open access to vendor's criteria for blocking
- stable
- availability of customer support
- price

Larry Scritchfield