LINK support arrives in Mozilla

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Oct 8 09:58:25 EDT 2001

Back in July, I posted a message about support for the HTML 2 LINK
element in Mozilla (archived at <http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/
archive/0107/0052.html>).  As a quick recap, LINK provides a set of
relationships between the current document and other documents--
next, prev, up, etc.--in a browser-parsable mechanism that can be
used to create navigational links as part of the browser's user
interface, in addition to any links that are part of the page.  IMO,
the advantages to using LINK are that links to related documents are
equally available from all parts of a page, and (if used throughout
a site) completely consistent from one page to another, and in fact
from one site to another.  The only problem is that no major browser
ever implemented it.

Last week a post on the netscape.public.mozilla.ui newsgroup
announced:

  > After 2 Years, 8 Months, 3 Days, 2 Bugs, 61 Votes, 56 CCs, 116
  > Newsgroup Postings, 451 Bug Comments, and 28 Patches, the fix for
  > bug 87428, "No UI HTML <link> element", has finally been checked
  > in.

After some "it's in, it's out, it's in again" uncertainty, this
feature is now part of the Mozilla daily builds, under the name
"Site Navigation Toolbar".

You really have to dig at the moment to find out what link
relationships are supported.  I found this at
<http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=2042&message=