[WEB4LIB] RE: NYPL Style Guide

cbickner at nypl.org cbickner at nypl.org
Wed Oct 31 15:42:33 EST 2001

Because we have so many Netscape 4 users in the system, we still have to
create sites that work well enough on this browser.  Also, I would not say
that we are really *enforcing* style with CSS yet.  We are still using
tables and other junk code for the N4 audience.

I would love to be a mark-up purist, but it is just not practical at this
time.  I think that by at least using CSS to take care of most style
concerns, and using clean, mostly structural markup, we will be able to
transition to XML or XHTML strict when that becomes necessary.

One step at a time.

Carrie

Carrie Bickner
Web Coordinator

New York Public Library  * The Branch Libraries/OPS * 455 5th Avenue * New
York, NY 10016
Telephone: 212-576-0026 * Fax: 212-340-0988 * Email: cbickner at nypl.org

                    "Michael Sauers"
                    <msauers at bcr.org>        To:     Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
                    Sent by:                 cc:
                    web4lib at sunsite.be       Subject:     [WEB4LIB] RE: NYPL Style Guide
                    rkeley.edu

                    10/31/2001 03:28
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    msauers

> Branch Library projects must be authored in valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional
> and styled with valid Cascading Style Sheets.

Maybe somewhat off topic but if you're going to enforce style with CSS why
not go XHTML Strict?

Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org :: http://www.bcr.org/~msauers/
WWW Library Directory @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.
Stop those X10 ads 'till 2009 - click on
http://www.x10.com/home/optout.cgi?DAY=3000