Ghost and SID's with Windows 2000

Isabel Danforth danforth at alumni.tufts.edu
Fri Oct 19 19:06:11 EDT 2001

We have purchased 20 new DELL computers with Windows 2000 installed.  We
decided that using Norton Ghost would save us set up time.   It seems to
have caused a network problem, however.  Shortly after we plugged in and
turned on the first 4 PC's, the library network slowed to a horrible
crawl.  After 15 or 20 minutes it seemed okay.   Later on it did the same
thing.  Last night similar thing happened and finally we just shut those
computers down and pulled them off the network.   Our network seems very
happy again.

One suggestion is that the clone produced identical SIDs on all those
computers and that ID conflict was causing network collisions.  Has anyone
out there had a simillar issue?  Do you have any good fixes?

Thanks in advance.

Isabel