printers in Win2000

Isabel Danforth danforth at alumni.tufts.edu
Tue Oct 9 14:22:49 EDT 2001

We are using networked printing from our current win95 client PC's.  They
point to specific printers, but on each computer, we can name those
printers as we see fit.  We are using print management software to manage
this printing.

We are setting up 11 new computers for public use and would like to have
the printers named in a like manner.  This option does not seem to be
available on Win2000.   The only name that seems to be available is the
actual path to the printer and the name of the queue.  something like
\RL83\printname

Does anyone have a way of providing a name for a printer on a Win2000
machine?  On the Win95 machines the printers are called Black & White Ten
Cents  and  Color One Dollar.   We would appreciate any insites.

Thanks.

Isabel